Under the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act of 1974, as amended (FERPA), Appalachian State University is restricted in releasing student information without the consent of the student. It provides the student a right to inspect his/her records and restrict the disclosure of those records. Further information about FERPA is available on the U.S. Department of Education FERPA website.
Detailed information about FERPA at Appalachian State University can be found in the University Policy Manual.
It should be understood that, at the post-secondary level, parents do not have automatic access to the student's education records. Access may be provided, under the following circumstances:
- The student can provide access in AppalNet using the Parent Portal consent process.
- Individual employees may decline to provide requested information if they determine that disclosure would be detrimental to the student-institution relationship or impede efficient and effective University operations.
- For questions or problems related to access, please contact the Registrar's Office at (828) 262-2050.
Granting Parent Access
Appalachian State University has developed an option to allow authorized access to student information for parents, guardians or third parties.
The Parent Access option is available to the student in AppalNet to grant access to the following types of information: Academic Records, Student Accounts, Financial Aid, Housing and/or Conduct Records.
The student must follow these steps to grant access:
- the student logs into AppalNet using the student's Appalachian State University username and password
- the student selects the Parent Access option by selecting the Student tab, then the "Parent Access" link. (The "Parent Access" link is also available from the "Student Accounts" link.)
- the student must enter the First Name, Middle Name and Last Name of the parent, guardian or third party to get access
- the student may enter the e-mail address of the parent or guardian so that they may receive e-mail notifications from Student Accounts when bills are available online
- the student chooses a 6-digit PIN number to be used by parent or guardian
- the student selects which type of information will be accessible by parent or guardian
- the student selects the "Submit" button
- the student will give the Banner ID and selected PIN to parent, guardian or third party
The student is responsible for providing the Banner ID and PIN information to those who have been granted access. Any requests for information by the specified individual(s) requires the knowledge of these numbers.
Accessing Student Information
With confirmation of the student's Banner ID and PIN information, the specified individuals may receive information electronically via the Parent Portal login or by contacting the office responsible for the specific record. The information options available are:
- Student Accounts: Using the Banner ID and PIN, the parent or third parties may view and pay a student account online through the Touchnet Authorized User Login. The student must authorize a user via the Touchnet Billing and Payment Center by providing a name and email address. The authorized user will receive a temporary password via email. The email addresses entered by the student will receive billing notifications. To speak with a representative from the Office of Student Accounts a student must separately authorize the parent/authorized user via the parent portal. When contacting the Office of Student Accounts users must know their student's Banner ID Number as well as their Parent PIN Number. Parents may discuss the student's account by contacting the Office of Student Accounts at 828-262-2113.
- Academic Records: Using the Banner ID and PIN, the parent or third parties may view a student transcript online through the Parent Portal login. For questions concerning access to a student's record contact the Office of the Registrar at 828-262-2050.
- Financial Aid: The parent or third parties may discuss a student's financial aid record by contacting the Office of Financial Aid at 828-262-2190.
- Housing: The parent or third parties may discuss a student's housing record by contacting the Office of Housing and Residence Life at 828-262-2160.
- Conduct: The parent or third parties may discuss a student's conduct record by contacting the Office of Student Conduct at 828-262-2704.
- Varsity Athletics: The parent or third parties may discuss a student's athletic record by contacting the Athletics Office at 828-262-7825.
- Disability Services: The parent or third parties may discuss a student's disability record by contacting the Office of Disability Services at 828-262-3056.
Parents, guardians and third parties should carefully read the information below about FERPA regulations and the privacy of student records.
If you have questions or concerns about FERPA regulations, please contact the University Registrar at 828-262-2050 or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org or the Office of the University Attorney at 828-262-2751.