It should be understood that, at the post-secondary level, parents do not have automatic access to the student's education records. Access may be provided, under the following circumstances:
Granting Parent, Guardian or Third Party Access
In accordance with the Family Educational Rights & Privacy Act of 1974 (FERPA), Appalachian State University and the Office of the Registrar are not able to provide confidential information pertaining to students unless written consent is provided by the student. This consent is done electronically by the student through their AppalNet account.
The Parent, Guardian or Third Party Access option is available to the student in AppalNET to grant access to the following types of information:
- Academic Records
- Student Accounts
- Financial Aid
- Conduct Records
- Office of Disability Resources (ODR)
The student must follow these steps to grant access:
- the student logs into AppalNet using the student's ASU username and password
- the student selects the Parent Access option by selecting the Student tab, then the "Parent Access" link. (The "Parent Access" link is also available from the "Student Accounts" link).
- the student must enter the First Name, Middle Name and Last Name of the parent, guardian or third party to get access
- the student may enter the e-mail address of the parent or guardian so that they may receive e-mail notifications from Student Accounts when bills are available online
- the student chooses a 6-digit PIN number to be used by parent or guardian
- the student selects which type of information will be accessible by parent or guardian
- the student selects the "Submit" button
- the student will give the Banner ID and selected PIN to parent, guardian or third party
Please Note: The student is responsible for providing the Banner ID and PIN information to those who have been granted access. Any requests for information by the specified individual(s) requires the knowledge of these numbers.
Individual employees may decline to provide requested information if they determine that disclosure would be detrimental to the student-institution relationship or impede efficient and effective University operations.
For questions or problems related to access, please contact the Registrar's Office at (828) 262-2050.